Academy Member Inducted 2020Map & Directions
James D. Vilvang, K.C.
700 - 401 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 5A1
Fax: (604) 688-3830
Recognized to British Columbia Chapter for:
- Practice Commenced1994
- # of MEDS (as of 5/6/23)
- # of ARBS (as of 5/6/23)
Online / In-Person
Jim Vilvang is an Associate Counsel in the Litigation group at Richards Buell Sutton LLP. His preferred areas of practice are Civil and Criminal Litigation with an emphasis on personal injury claims. Jim graduated with his LL.B. from The University of British Columbia in 1973. He was called to the Bar in British Columbia in 1974 and the Yukon in 1994. He was appointed as Queen's Counsel in January of 1996. He has been a Qualified Commercial Mediator since 1994.
Jim has been a distinguished and recognized trial lawyer for over 46 years and is highly regarded by all sectors of the bar for his work ethic, insight, and love of the legal profession. His clients hold him in equally high regard, thanking him for his concern, consideration and frequent communication.
Since 1994, Jim has frequently been called upon to act as mediator in litigated disputes, with a high settlement rate. To date, Jim has mediated more than 1,100 personal injury and civil/commercial cases.
- Class Actions
- Disability Claims
- Estates & Trusts
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Dismissal
1973, LL.B., University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law, Awarded
Memberships & Affiliations
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia - Award for Outstanding Contribution, 2003
- President, B.C. Branch of Canadian Bar Association, 1988-1989
- President, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, 1993-1994
- Bencher, Law Society of B.C., 2002-2010
- Co-Chair, 11th Commonwealth Law Conference Organizing Committee, Vancouver, B.C. held in August 1996
- Member, Executive Committee - B.C. Branch of Canadian Bar Association, 1985-1990
- Canadian Bar Association, National Executive, 1986-1987; 1990-1992
- Member, Board of Governors of Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Co-Chair, B.C. Branch Provincial Mid-Winter Meeting, 1986 and 1987
- Chair, Canadian Bar Association National Mid-Winter Meeting held at Whistler, 1992
- National Legal Aid Liaison Committee, 1989-1991
- Attorney General's Committee to Hire Supreme Court Masters, 1989
- Attorney General's Committee on Court Reporting, 1991-1992
- Canadian Bar Association Contingency Fee Committee: prepared report and submissions to Law Society
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board of Continuing Legal Education Publication; Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Manual, 1996-2003
- Co-Chair, Person Injury Conference (CLE), May 1994-2003
$400.00 per hour, for a minimum of 3 hours. $150.00 per hour travel for out of lower mainland locations. Disbursements associated with travel.